Monday, July 23, 2012

Cylinders On

 I was ready to put the cylinders on but my ring compressor was missing.  I think I used it at my son's working on a car.  I picked one up at Advance Auto only to discover it doesn't come apart.  The normal assembly process is to install the piston on the connecting rod and then tighten the compressor over the rings.  Then the cylinder is slid down over the piston and the compressor removed.  To do that the strap has to come apart.
 Fortunately the oil ring is above the piston pin so I can compress the rings and install the piston into the cylinder.  Then just put the whole thing on the rod and slide in the pin.
 Everything gets well oiled.  Oil is worked into the rings and all surfaces are coated with oil so no bare metal parts ever rub against each other.
 The piston and cylinder is ready to install.
 Cylinder 1 is on.

 4 Cylinders ready to torque the nuts.  All the nuts are tight. I decided to snug them all down and then torque them once all were ready.  You tighten them to half the torque value and then to the final torque.  At this point its 8:30 in the evening and still almost 90 degrees in the attic.  I'm done for today.  I need to torque these when the brain is working well and I'm not in a hurry to escape the heat.
I keep the engine covered with plastic bags when I'm not working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment