Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Door Window Hinges

 I found the hinges for the Pilot side door window were unusable.  The material for these is MS20257P2 which is aluminum piano hinge1-1/16" wide and .040" thick.  The easiest thing for these was to just make a little jig to hold the hinge while punching the rivet holes.  I used a piece of 1/16" x 1-1/4" aluminum angle, 2" long.  Each hinge is 2" long.The factory used a flat punch about 1/8" wide to lock the pin in one side of the hinge.  I used 2 center punches done with the 5/32" punch from my Whitney punch.  I also hammered the back end of the hinge, like on the flap hinges, to help assure the pin won't slide out.
 The hole fixture is simple.  The 1/8" holes are 5/8" from the corner and 1/2" apart.  There are 3 holes on the door side of the hinge and 4 on the window side.  It's just a matter of positioning the hinge in the corner and punching the holes through the hinge with a punch with the center nib removed, using the clecos to hold the hinge in place as the holes are punched.

 With the hinges and latch installed the window works great.  I was so pleased I decided to replace the old hinges I had installed on the passenger door with new ones also.  Good plan but as I started riveting on the first hinge I damaged the window so I had to remove the glass and start over making a new window.  Oh Well, At least it's all fun no matter how many times you do it.

1 comment:

  1. It's just a matter of positioning the hinge in the corner and punching the holes through the hinge with a punch with the center nib removed, using the clecos to hold the hing in place as the holes are punched.carlocksmithinirvingtx.com

    ReplyDelete