Saturday, March 2, 2013

Clamping The Splice Sleeve for Welding

The splice sleeve springs open quite a bit when you split it along the trailing edge.  As a result you need to clamp it tightly to hold it in place while you weld it.  I tried clamping the splice sleeve on the strut and could not keep the C-clamps from sliding off the training edge of the splice.  My friend Caleb Glick suggested making L shaped pieces of angle iron to use under the clamps to spread out the clamping and and keep them from sliding off.  Yea an excuse to go to Tractor Supply.   I cut the leg off one side of a piece of 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/8" angle.  The clamp pieces were then cut to the same 30 degree angle on each end, as on the splice sleeve.  I made the 2 pieces about 1" shorter than the splice sleeve so it wouldn't be to close to the weld.  You don't want the weld cooling to fast with 4130 steel.

 To keep the clamp pieces from sliding I used the cut off scrap to make 2 straps to screw onto them.  I formed them to fit around the streamlined tubing and position the clamps about 3/8" from the back of the tube.

You can see in the sketch one of the other things I did to help it all fit and clamp nicely.  I used the belt sander to grind an angle on the short leg of the clamp pieces.

 It all fits the sleeve very well.

 Here are all the pieces and the clamp assembled.  It took a couple hours to make but with 2 splices to weld I think it's worth the effort.

The straps flex enough to allow the sleeve to be pushed in between them to install the clamp piece.



No comments:

Post a Comment