Saturday, January 30, 2010

Riveting Ribs To Spar

The ribs are riveted to the spar. I modified the long head of my rivet squeezer to fit loosely over the spar flange. There may be some heavy rivets it won't squeeze without bending but I mostly use it for 1/8" and 3/32" rivets so I don't think it will hurt it. The biggest problem I had was my rivet gun hasn't been used in years and the air valve was stuck. I also discovered that I do so little riveting I don't own any bucking bars. With 9" of snow falling I faked it and moved on. The skin below the tank is riveted to the spar and we're ready to set rivets on the skin and the drag wire brackets. Then the outboard skin can go back on. This was a very long day of going slow and careful. I don't want to have to redo this.

No comments:

Post a Comment