Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Rudder Pedals

I'm changing the brakes to Cleveland brakes and need to get some shorter bolts for the axles, so we're on to the rudder pedals. I was going to just grease these and reinstall them. I keep finding enough cracked and corroded parts that I decided to take these apart to clean and inspect them. They are primary flight controls after all. We have the optional Right Seat brakes which is nice. So far the only problems I see just in taking them apart is some rust and the Oilite bushings for the brakes are dried out and the tubes were very sticky to turn.
The bushings just press into the the rudder bars and hold the brake shaft in. It has a step on it which made it easy to press out the bushings. That may have been it's purpose since the arms on each end hold the shaft in.
Now that all parts are disassembled, bagged or tagged I'm ready to start cleaning to inspect. The parts book really helps to figure out how all this works.

No comments:

Post a Comment