Monday, February 28, 2011

Cleaning Fuselage Cabin Area

Between breaking a bone in my arm at Christmas, waiting for parts, and work, I feel like I'm going in slow motion. I have got the gear box area all cleaned and primed, very hard one handed. To spray inside the channels above and below the gear leg I needed a dog leg spray gun. I took the nozzle and tube off a can of brake cleaner and added a rubber band. I was able to spray all the hidden areas after a couple tries and checks with an inspection mirror. I love cheap solutions that work. While cleaning and inspecting the gear box area I could see rust on the float attach fittings in the belly. You really find out how much 2 hands are needed trying to get those bolts out but I got there. The parts cleaned up nicely and are primed and painted ready to reinstall when all the bolts arrive. The aluminum was mostly dirty and cleaned up well. After I primed it the weather turned back cold so I wrapped the area with rugs strapped to the belly and left a 60 watt bulb burning all night in the gear box. It stayed 59 degrees despite the freezing temps. outside and the epoxy was nicely set by morning. To get the fittings out I had to remove the control column and push tube to the elevator cable bellcrank. The column and tube looked good but there was a tiny bit of flaking in the last coat of paint. I decided to clean them and repaint. Boy am I glad I did. It appears someone long ago sanded them and painted them gray. Unfortunately they did not re-prime them first and simply covered a lot of rust. They're cleaning up and I will probably replace the push tube. I've also found, anything that should move is generally stuck. Fortunately I've also found the best unsticker in the world. Faith Olen-Glick (I'm flying her Champ) loaned me a can of Corrosion X. It is amazing. Not only did if free up the trim indicator in minutes and the universal joints in about an hour, I have a rudder bar for my WACO NINE project which has spent years being soaked with every known penetrating oil to no affect. I even checked it with a board for leverage before trying the Corrosion X, not a wiggle. Just 2 hours after spraying with Corrosion X it wiggled for the first time in decades and after a couple minutes was a free as new. It's the most expensive spray ($15.25) I've tried but it's worked perfectly. It is actually cleaning the rust off the rudder bar. The result of all this is I'm removing everything related to the controls and cleaning and lubing everything. I don't want any rust or sticking in the controls. The bolts and other parts to start putting this all back together should be here tomorrow. Unlike building new parts I only discover what I need once things are apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment