Sunday, August 5, 2012

Rusty Carburetor Air Box

The carb. air box was dented and had a couple small cracks.  Once those were fixed I needed to get rid of the rust before repainting it.  Normally I would just grit blast it. I was concerned that I wouldn't get all the grit cleaned out well and some might get into the engine.  I decided to use Naval Jelly to remove the rust.  I don't think I spent any longer than I would have blasting it and then treating it with Phosphoric Acid before painting.  Naval Jelly is Phosphoric Acid in a jelly form so it doesn't run off the part and it doesn't dry out as fast.  It to about 30 minutes total to clean the box and it stayed wet through the whole process despite 90 degree heat.  I scrubbed with coarse Scotchbrite to get it worked into the rust and scrub the rust off.  Just like treating with Phosphoric Acid before painting you need to flush it off with water and quickly blow it dry so new rust doesn't form.  It's primed and I'll paint it when the other parts are ready.  It really came out great.

No comments:

Post a Comment