Friday, October 25, 2013

Installing Engine Baffle Rub Strips ( Seals)

 Installing the Rub Strips was simple but slow work compared to stapling them on in the factory.  I used .041" stainless steel safety wire and a variety of pliers to cut, hold and form the staples.  To cut the seals I used scissors and a knife.
 I started with the simplest pieces which were on the front of the scoop below the crank case.  Because of the sharp corner bend I cut most of the way through the felt, leaving a little of the felt and the bottom fabric to hold the 2 pieces together at the corner.
 To locate the staple holes just hold the part so light will shine through and you can see the holes very easily.  I then just pushed heavy duty straight pins, like you use for sewing a fabric envelope, through the fabric and holes.  This held the strip in place and created holes for the staples.


 To make the staples I cut off pieces of safety wire with the end at 7/8".  The wire is slightly longer than that because of the shape of the diagonal cutters.  Because there were so many wires to cut I used a square to create a stop to speed up cutting.

 The legs of the staples are spaced with a gap of 3/8".  I was planning to make a tool to form these but found I had a pair of vice grip pliers which were the perfect width to form the legs.  You just use the table top to push the legs over to 90 degrees.

Perfect staples for holding the strips.

 I found it easier to first push the staple through the fabric and then through the holes in the baffle.  I also worked one staple at a time.

The legs sticking through the baffle were bent enough to hold the staple and get a good start on bending them flat.


 I used another large pair of vice grips to finish the bends flat and tight.  The joy of having lots of hand tools.

 The strips are as secure as the originals and easy to replace when they eventually wear out.

 The felt sets nicely on  the flange on the baffle ready to rub against the cowl to seal and allow everything to slide around when the engine is running.
 The bottom scoop seals are done.

Here is a more rounded corner on the horizontal baffle around the cylinders.  I like how these came out.  I still have the large rear baffle to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment