Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Painting Engine Parts and Brake Problems

I've started painting the black parts for the engine, rocker covers, intake tubes, etc. The cylinders are next. I wasn't happy with the Cleveland wheels I had cleaned up and installed so I could get this thing back on the gear. The plane came with a mismatched set of Goodyear wheels and 4 brake calipers. I found wheels to match the Goodyears so I decided to clean up the brake calipers. After degreasing and stripping the old paint I quickly condemned all 4 calipers. All four have cracks in the casting at the edge of the machined area and the closest hole. Each is only cracked on one hole. I'm sure if I thought about how the braking loads are applied it would be obvious which were on the right and which were on the left. But who cares, I have more metal for the recycling bin. I've drawn arrows to the crack to help anyone else looking at their parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment