Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Intake Tube On

The intake tubes are pretty easy work.  I tried to position the clamps where they will be most out of the way installing spark plugs and the exhaust.  The overhaul bolt kit did not include the nuts for the elbow castings at the cylinders or the nuts for the manifold to the case.  At least I had some for both.  The inboard nuts on the elbows require a thin walled short socket with a built in universal joint, very tight location.I think I'll bolt the engine back on the mount so I can add the baffles and all.

2 comments:

  1. Did you paint the intake tubes black?

    If so, did you use a special paint?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are painted black. I use high temperature 500 degree F engine enamel. I buy it at Advance Auto. There are a couple things to do to get good results. First use 2 very light coats, almost a light mist, about 10 - 20 minutes apart followed buy a heavy coat, but not runny. Hang them with a wire run down through the middle.
      Second, the enamel needs to be baked. Out in the sun on a hot day it will get up to about 125 degrees F. That seems to work if they spend about 6 hours in the sun. I'm working on a way to heat them safely to about 200+ degrees F using light bulbs, like an Easy Bake oven. Summer is just too short to do all your painting then. Without baking the enamel it will scratch easily. Epoxy paint just does not work as well. If you're in a high corrosion area, near ocean, I would prime the parts with zinc chromate first, not epoxy.

      Delete