Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Bucking Bars

I've started riveting the panels back over the gear leg openings. I had gotten some new bucking bars from Aircraft Spruce. When I went to use them I realized they mostly have sharp corners , (chamfered but not smooth and round), edges and some rough areas on the castings that need smoothing. Any edge etc. which might come into contact with something while bucking the rivets needs to be smooth so it won't scratch anything it touches. I'll spend a couple hours rounding all the edges and smoothing any areas which might touch something. You don't want everything smooth or they're hard to hold while bucking the rivets. I'm not really complaining about Aircraft Spruce. On something like these panels where you have to reach in through a hole to buck the rivets it's easy to touch the structure while bucking the rivet. If all this were being done by 2 people in nice open space it could probably be done without any worry of scratching things.

No comments:

Post a Comment