Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Tail Wheel Spring Back On

The spring parts have all been grit blasted, primed, and painted.  Along with new hardware I fabricated new rubber pads for the spring mounts.  I used 1/16" sheet to cut pieces and laminate pads to fit.  I'm not sure I have the correct durometer rubber since I've found nothing on what rubber was used to make the originals, long since gone from this plane.  We'll see how they last in service and get harder rubber if needed.  By laminating them with contact cement I was able to make them fit around rivets and things like that better than using solid pieces.  The aft spring clamp uses a "U" shaped piece of rubber 1/4" thick.  By laminating it I was able to glue the pieces together to form the "U" to fit very well.  I'm still waiting on a couple parts to assemble the tail wheel.

No comments:

Post a Comment