Thursday, April 21, 2011

Tail Wheel in Pieces

I've removed the tail wheel now that the plane is back on the mains.  I think I'm shocked at the neglect.  It has been so long since being greased that the grease had dried out back to paraffin.  Grease is made by melting paraffin wax and adding #30 oil to the mix and letting it cool.  It takes a very long time to dry out this bad in a closed space like the wheel or arm and cam assembly.  Fortunately the plane came with 2 tail wheel assemblies.  Like all steel parts the springs were rusty but they cleaned up fine.  One tire is dead and the other is serviceable.  The wheel bearings are all shot.  I'll save one set as an example of just how bad bearings can get.  The inner races on one wheel are like furrows in a plowed field.  I've found new Timken A4050 bearings on e-bay for about $55 shipped so hopefully they really are new as advertised.  The rest should be a matter of cleaning, painting, greasing, and new hardware.  I'll have to fabricate new rubber pads for the springs.  I have some 70 durometer rubber which should work fine.  The tubular rubber piece which goes around the bolt in the spring holes is fine so that's good news.  I should have everything ready by the time the bearings arrive.  This is the same tail wheel we have on the Fly Baby so any serviceable spare parts will always be welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment