Monday, April 18, 2011

Pulleys & Cables

Saturday was a rainy stormy day, perfect for re-greasing all the pulleys.  All the old grease was dried on the bushings.  Some MEK and a q-tip swap cleaned them up nicely.  I re-greased them with the Molyshield grease I got for the engine.  It's a #2 grease with 5% Molybdenum Disulfide to reduce friction.  There are a lot of pulleys in a C-140.  All the bolts, etc. are being replaced so I kitted everything for each pulley in it's ziploc bag.

I cleaned all the cables with MEK.  It was amazing how much grit had accumulated on the old grease.  After cleaning they were inspected. One aileron cable had some broken strands so it will be replaced.  The rest are all OK.  I coiled each in a ziploc bag and oiled them with Corrosion-X.  I did not oil the turnbuckles, they need to be oil free.  Galvanized control cable is originally oiled to prevent corrosion.  I'm sure it dried out ages ago.

I also reassembled the control tee and cleaned up the 2 return springs on the flap bellcrank.  I'll repaint the springs with epoxy primer and epoxy paint.  I believe it is a little more flexible than enamel and therefore may last a little longer before the springs start to rust again.  If it weren't so expensive I'd paint springs with white epoxy primer only so any future rust would be obvious at the start and could treated before any pitting starts.  I really can't afford a quart of primer just for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment